As Scarlett O'Hara says, "Tomorrow is another day." Indeed, today is a new day and I'm feeling much better. Thank you all for your sweet comments and notes yesterday. The winter really is affecting me this year, but your kind words mean so much! What better way to get rid of the winter blues than to think about warm, sunny vacations.
Today I'm sharing a secret recipe with you. I bet that no one will have heard of this drink, but you'll get all the credit for introducing it to them!
Ask someone to name a drink with tequila in it and you’ll most likely hear Margarita as the response. But there are a myriad of other delightful and refreshing options. One of the best, in my humble opinion, is the Paloma. Served at a party, it’s a unique drink that will please even the most discriminating guest.
Paloma, meaning dove in Spanish, is a unique mix of flavors that is actually tastes quite complex.
Here's what you need:
2 oz tequila, reposado
6 oz Squirt
salt to rim the glass and a pinch for the drink
Here's what you do:
1. Rim a tall glass with salt, then fill with ice to the top.
2. Squeeze in juice of half of a small lime.
3. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the lime juice. Add tequila. Fill with Squirt.
4. Give a little stir and enjoy.
Pink and Green Tips:
- Reposado tequila has rested in oak barrels for two months. Blanco is un-aged. And you definitely don’t want anything un-aged (read white tequila) with additives in it. Yuck. There are many brands out there, but Herradura (reposado!) is a good place to start. Don’t be fooled by pretty bottles; a pretty bottle does not mean a pretty drink!
- You know that the limes that are the softest will be the juiciest. There’s nothing worse than a dry lime.
- And if you’re on the Skinny Girl plan, like me after indulging in holiday sweets, ask for your Paloma with Diet Squirt or as they say in Mexico, Squirt Light.
Let me know what you think!
P.S. This is particularly refreshing when enjoyed poolside. I think my friend Lori from Shopaholic in Alabama would agree!
All images from Pinterest.