I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. I was blessed with a lot of hair, but it’s difficult to manage because it’s not straight, but it’s not perfectly curly, either. In the humid DC summers, this only means one thing. Frizz.
Not a pretty word, nor a pretty sight! Luckily, I have made some wonderful discoveries along the bumpy hair styling road.
1. Don’t shampoo every day. Unless I have a serious workout or it’s 100 degrees in August, I rarely have the need to shampoo every day. My favorite shampoo is Bain Satin 3 from Kerastase. It’s a miracle worker for my hair.
2. Dirty hair is easier to style. I know. It sounds kind of gross. But it’s true! Most good stylists won’t put your hair up unless it’s been previously washed. You can refresh your hair with some dry shampoo. I like Oscar Blandi’s Pronto Dry Shampoo.
3. Velcro and Hot Rollers are your friends. Pretend you’re a Victoria’s Secret model before a fashion show. They’re all running around backstage in huge rollers. That’s because their stylists know that the secret to achieving volume is in the roller!
4. Invest in a Quality Cut. My hair always seems to fall perfectly right after a haircut. The right haircut can give you shape, body, and movement that you didn’t think was possible.
5. Nourish. I use a treatment on my hair once a week and love the results. I alternate between Kerastase’s Aqua Oleum and Oleo Fusion. Try them! You won’t be disappointed.
6. Splurge on a Blow-out. There’s nothing more relaxing for me than getting my hair professionally blown out. The style lasts for days and looks amazing. Many large metropolitan areas have blow-dry bars that specialize in blowing out hair.