2. Tempted by Squeeze. This is one of those classic songs that deserve to be sung out loud. It’s even better if you’re in a car packed with your favorite peeps and everyone is singing.
3. Rio by Duran Duran. Simon LeBon was my first real crush and I was devastated that he chose to date supermodels instead of my middle-school-self! The image of him on the yacht in the video wearing a suit with the wind blowing through his hair is like an instant vacation. Flash forward 10 years to my exciting years and the answer was, “Why, YES, we’d love to join you on your yacht for the day!”
4. Summertime by Billie Holiday. Sometimes you need to relax on an Adirondack chair after a hard day of sunning and surfing on the beach. A think a perfect dose of jazz is in order.
5. Forever Young by Alphaville. When I was way too young to be in a nightclub in the United States, I danced the night away to this song in Mexico. It’s a fabulous memory I’ll never forget. Whenever I hear this song, I can remember exactly every detail about that night…in Palladium wearing a bright pink Benetton dress. I grew up so much because of my travel experiences and saw the world, people, and my home in ways I had never seen.
6. All Summer Long by Kid Rock. There’s something catchy and contagious about this song. I didn’t want to like it, but ended up wanting to hear this song repeatedly. Perfect summer song.
7. Alejandro by Lady Gaga. Every good summer mix has to include some Lady Gaga and Alejandro is a perfect choice. Alejandro makes me think of Mexico and warm weather. Enough said.
8. Poker Face by Lady Gaga. So there’s a double dose of Lady Gaga on the playlist, but I had to include Poker Face. Last week, my Minnie told me that this was the perfect song to have in the background while you’re walking into a nightclub with your peeps. Of course she says this to me as she demonstrates the celebrity-walk into the club. I’m in big trouble in a few years!
9. Cruel Summer by Bananarama. Ok, admit it. You like Bananarama. It’s ok. I’m out of the bubble gum pop closet, too.
10. Don’t You Want Me by Human League. This is another song that I love to sing loudly in the car. I don’t know why, but it always reminds me of summer.
What are your favorite summer songs?
Have a great day!