1. Finding a spot towards the front of a completely full parking lot. Email from my favorite stores reminds me that Christmas is just around the corner. There’s nothing sweeter than finding a spot practically reserved for you in the parking lot of a busy shopping center. Double bonus points if it is raining or snowing!
2. The feeling of my hair when I am rinsing out the conditioner. I love to run my hands through the conditioner. So soft!
3. Opening new hardcover books. When I was in elementary school, a wonderful nun, who taught me many valuable lessons about school and life, told me that there was only one proper way to open a new text book. Getting new school books was such a big deal and we took it very seriously. Almost in unison, we put the spine on the desk and carefully opened each side of the book, one at a time. The sound is almost as good as the crunch of a French baguette.
4. Discovering that you have free wifi in an airport, hotel, or restaurant. Finding this right when you need it, for free, is such a good thing. Free wifi has saved me and made my life better in countless ways with everything from scoring airline upgrades to finding the important confirmation number for the "missing" reservation.
5. Catching something that is thrown to you from a distance. I’ve never been particularly athletic and I’m a klutz when it comes to throwing or catching. No one would ever recruit me for the softball team. So catching a set of keys from across the room is a small victory! It makes me smile and think to myself, “I did it!” I can only imagine how people feel when they catch a baseball at a game.
6. Hearing your favorite song in a restaurant or store. Sometimes the background music at a store or restaurant is just that, background. But every once in a while, I’ll hear a song that I really, really love, and it instantly boosts my mood and puts a smile on my face. Music is such a powerful thing. I remember being in a restaurant and hearing Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love” start to play. In a flash, my thoughts went back to a happy memory. Has that ever happened to you?
7. Using the good plates and silverware, just because. So many people have the china as a pretty accessory that is never used. Make any occasion special and enjoy life. Use the china and silver, even if it’s just a normal dinner at home.
8. A Brand New Box of Crayons: Every year during back to school, I make a point of purchasing a 64 count box of crayons. New crayons are so pretty! I use them carefully and keep them organized in the box. Now even though my daughters prefer markers and colored pencils to crayons, they still ask to get a new box of crayons at the beginning of the school year.
9. Warm blankets fresh from the dryer. Pure heaven.
10. Picking your own pumpkin/strawberries/anything. Part of the fun of getting a pumpkin or a Christmas tress is finding the "perfect" one. When we're going to the pumpkin patch, it's fun to make a day long adventure of the event. Picking strawberries or raspberries is also so much fun.
What little happies in life do you enjoy?