When I was in Mexico recently, I discovered the most delightful little mango drink. A dash of chili powder and a squirt of liquid candy are a unique twist for this frozen treat. The drink tastes a lot like Mexican candy and is very popular right now in the hottest night spots.
Luckily for you, I was able to persuade a waiter to share the recipe with me.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Mango Slushie.
2 spoonfuls of mango puree
2 ounces of Absolut Mango
A squirt of liquid chamoy candy
A sprinkling of chili powder
- Mix the mango puree, Absolut Mango and ice in a blender until the consistency is to your liking.
- Squirt a swirl of the liquid Chamoy in a martini or margarita glass.
- Sprinkle with chili powder to garnish.
Tips, Tricks, and Resources:
- Although you can purchase mango puree, it’s just as easy to make your own and it’s fresher. Simply blend pieces of fresh mango with a little bit of water with a pinch of sugar and lime juice. Add water slowly; you won’t need that much. What's even better? You don't really need to clean the blender after you make the puree. Just add everything else into the mix and you're ready to go. Anything that saves me from rinsing and washing a dish is a good thing!
- You can find large bottles of liquid chamoy, but the candy is sweeter and tastes delicious.
- Although Valentina chili powder is my favorite, the McCormick variety in my kitchen cupboard fit the bill quite nicely. It's only a sprinkle, after all.