It's rare that I prepare the same dish twice in two weeks, but by request, I made a delicious beef enchilada casserole again tonight. With only a handful of ingredients, the dish is easy to prepare. Since 4 of us were eating, I made a casserole for four people, but the recipe is easily modified for larger groups.
Beef Enchilada Casserole
- tomatillos, roasted (1 pound)
- onion, chopped (I used about half of an onion)
- green chiles (I used 1 small can)
- lime juice (a tablespoon or so)
- ground beef (I used a pound)
- corn tortillas
- shredded Mexican cheese
1. Cut tomatillos in half after peeling and roast under the broiler for 5-7 minutes.
2. Blend tomatillos with some onion, some green chiles, cilantro, and lime juice in a blender until smooth.
3. Brown ground beef. Drain. Then, add a bit of the tomatillo salsa, more onion, and more green chilies.
4. Lightly grease a casserole dish.
5. Layer corn tortillas in the dish and coat with more tomatillo salsa. I tore the tortillas in half so that the edges fit perfectly in the square casserole dish.
6. Add the beef mixture and alternate layers with cheese, the beef mixture, and more tortillas.
7. Top with cheese and remaining salsa.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.